Wednesday, July 08, 2009

HP6: T-10...9...8...7...

I'm getting excited again. Just like when the last one came out. I went and watched it at midnight, even though I had to be at work at 6:30 and the movie didn't end until 3-ish. Next week, July 15, is the release of the sixth installment of the Harry Potter films, The Half-Blood Prince. The trailers look promising, and I'm sure it will be. I have not been dissatisfied with any of the movie adaptations so far. I understand that the directors cannot incorporate every mundane detail from the books and into the movies. That's fine. Just give me the movie, though. Fill it with action, humor, love, mystery, adventure. Bring the amazing story to life.

I've liked the Harry Potter series since it came out, after a friend of mine read and liked the first book and passed it to me. Thanks, Jordan. The story is so simple, but equally complex. The mystery involved in each novel is often edge-of-your-seat. The prose reads wonderfully. The characters are full and flushed out. The epic sense of disaster lurking, of knowing the ultimate showdown between Voldermort and Harry, was agonizing to wait for.

These character shots are pretty cool, too. Harry looks ready to duel. Dumbledore doesn't look the crazy, loony headmaster; he looks full of power and ready to take down some Death Eaters. Hermione stands unafraid and ready to take you on. Ron just wants to play quidditch. Draco looks pure evil, like a rich little spoiled boy that's suddenly turned his wrath on you. And Snape, Snape, Severus Snape (Dumbledore!) looks mysterious, like he's hiding something, but at the same time he looks agitated and unimpressed, like Ron or Harry were just called down for talking in class.

I loved these books. I have them all on my bookshelf, and I fully intend on reading them again someday. Possibly to my kids way on down the line. Whatever. I love these movies, and have them all on my shelves as well. The point is that I'm excited and can't wait for THBP to hit movie theaters. I'll most likely be watching it at midnight again, and this time I don't have to be at work until 8:00.

[By the way, if you're not one of the 63,990,950 YouTube views of the Potter Puppet Pals video, you really should follow the Snape link above, or just click here. You'll laugh, and it'll be stuck in your head, too!]

6 comments:

Krista said...

I can't wait until HP comes out either! Last year it came out on my birthday, so it was a nice birthday gift, eh? This year, however, it's four days after, but still close enough to make someone take me for my birthday, then I won't have to pay, you know LOL!

Anywho, I have yet to read the books, but I've been meaning to. However, I wonder since I've seen the movies (more than once) if the books will lose there flare?Usually I try to read the books first, but that doesn't always happen.....

logankstewart said...

You've not read the books!?!!!!!??

You must be one of the six people in the world that hasn't, Krista. You definitely should. If you like the movies then you'll like the books. They're fantastic, and contain so much more than the movies.

Plus, you can get them all very cheap from used book stores or just check them out from the Local Public Library.

Krista said...

LOL, Logan! Yes, I know, I know, it's a crazy world after all!

If you say they're great I'll take your word for it! I'll have to get them the next time I'm at the library or bookstore! Thanks!

Poison said...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows or whatever the title was (it's been ages since I looked at them, being currently obsessed NOT with Star Wars, but Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, which is AWESOME) had an absolutely lame ending.

And I hated Harry Potter - oh how I wanted Voldemort to win!!!

David Wagner said...

How odd that 2 of the 6 people in the world that have never read a word of the Harry Potter series would post comments in this thread! I think I'm in a more exclusive club as well... those that never seen one of the films either...

logankstewart said...

Ha ha! Ironic indeed. I think membership dues for that exclusive club is $1000 per year. You can make the check payable to Logan K Stewart. Thanks.