Thursday, September 03, 2009

A New Story, A New Song, A Bad Post

As many of you are aware, I have been working on a new story, which is currently and tentatively titled 21 Deaths and Grim, A Portrait of Life. I'm not sure how much I like the working title, but that's where I'm at now. The story is really many different brief tales, all interwoven and connected with the protagonist, Grim. Grim, essentially, is a deity that we know as Death. I'm writing Grim's part as journal entries (or at least that's what it is now) for what he's done through the day, and interjecting prose on the Task itself.

Now let me take a minute and say yuck. It seems so much easier to write a synopsis or blurb about someone else's work. Possibly because I'm not finished, but probably because it's my own self describing my own work. How do I sound objective and self-pleasing both without coming off as proud and cocky? Blah. Let's move on.

I'm writing because the story came to me and I enjoy writing (especially short story fiction). If you like it, then I am twice pleased. If you don't, then I still am pleased, as the process alone is fun and entertaining, even if I'm writing about death.

This sentence serves as a transition, conditional upon you convincing yourself that there is a nice transition here.

Some of you are aware that I am an engineer, and a few of you may know that I also am an artist. (Well, sort of.) I truly think that I'm a Jack of All Trades but Master of None. I can draw and paint, but not with amazing beauty like many others. I can play guitar, mandolin, dulcimer, harmonica, and the piano, but again not with the amazing talents like others. I can do some Differential Equations or solve a triple integral if you'd like me to, but I'm not a genius astrophysicist mad scientist. Heck, I can solve crossword puzzles from time to time, but I'm nothing compared to all those other crazy crossword solvers out there. I think my problem is that I enjoy doing so many things that I don't take time to hone in on one skill. Sure, I could devote all my time to painting, improving my artistic skill in that area, but I think I would miss the other things I do with my time.

I've been teaching myself to play the piano for the past year or so off-and-on, basically the same way I taught myself guitar and mandolin. Learn the chords, learn how to put your fingers there, throw in whatever you can and hope it sounds okay. So I'm going to now put this video here. You don't have to like it. It's okay. But doing this helps me get over some sort of mental-block. It's like throwing myself out there in hopes that I'll callous.




This was another post in a string of pointless and mundane posts, brought to you by logankstewart. I should have a book review for you tomorrow, if all goes according to plan. Take care folks.

Song Lyric: "Well there's a punk in the alley and he's looking for a fight, there's an Arab on the corner buying everything in sight, there's a mother in the ghetto with another mouth to feed, it seems that everyway we look today there's misery and greed. I guess you know the earth is gonna crash into the sun, but that's no reason why we shouldn't have a little fun, so if you think it's scary, if it's more than you can take, just blow out the candles and have a piece of cake. Happy Birthday!"--Weird Al Yankovic, Happy Birthday

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Logan -
From my educational background and studying abilities/talents/intelligences most artistic folk are multidimensional and multidisciplinary. Look at John Lennon.
Do I detect a bit of a southern accent in your singing?

David Wagner said...

Ah, kindred spirit! I also dabble in many, many things, and am master of none... but you're right, it's fun to do lots of stuff well... as opposed to one thing really really well...

And you'll never, ever get a complaint from me about blog posts that hop all over the place... that's my MO! That's just how my brain works. I like to say that in our house, "Dad" is spelled A-D-D...

Anyway, I look forward to reading Grim's Journal...

logankstewart said...

@Shellie: Multidimensional and multidisciplinary are indeed words to describe my life. And, aye, you do detect a bit of a southern accent in my singing, though I do not notice it. It must just be the Kentucky in me coming out...

@David: Well said, sir. And, as always, quite funny, with the spelling and all. I shall do my best with the tale of Grim.

Krista said...

I think it's so cool that you can do what you can do! LOL! I wish I could play just a little bit of guitar, piano, or any kind of instrument!(awesome video, I say, by the way!) You are not alone in dabbling in a little bit of everything. I draw and paint though I'm not perfect. I try and write poems at times, but they're not fantastic. I'm also a working mother. All these things I'm not perfect at, but hey, that's life, I guess. LOL! As long as you are enjoying yourself... "life is much to short"!

Plus, I have enjoyed all your short stories even the grim one! I have also enjoyed your art work and your music videos I've seen. Your the Man, Man!

Krista said...

Plus, it looks as though you have quite a few new followers, congrats!

logankstewart said...

Thanks, Krista.