Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autumn

The air is crisp and cool today, and it finally feels like Fall outside. Fall is my favorite season. I love watching the leaves transform from their lively greens to a dark auburn and ultimately to dead brown. I love how the day can start out warm and you decide to wear a tee-shirt and shorts, only to find yourself shivering and cold later on, not realizing how quickly the Autumnal air can change. I love the decor of Fall, seeing yards with scarecrows, pumpkins, gourds, and straw bales. And I love the nights of the Fall season, where we can sit under the giant bowl of stars and see millions of miles away, occasionally glimpsing a falling star. Yes, I love Fall.

A week into the new season and I've found a new blog that I've subscribed to. It's called Stuff Christians Like. It takes a humorous look at some serious things Christian's find themselves involved in, and it seems aimed at those that lead (be it worship, class, pastor, etc.) The blog definitely can get your mind turning. My favorite post that I read was actually a guest post, but it's hilarious nonetheless, and available here. Even if you're not a Christian, I'd recommend reading it, as it's too funny to pass up.

Another thing I'm really enjoying is Layers of Thought's recommendation of Pandora. I used Pandora (or something like it) back in my early years of college, but somewhere along the lines I forgot about it. The concept is pretty clever. Essentially, Pandora is an online radio, but it's tailored to suit individual tastes, based on whether or not you like a song. You customize your own radio station by inputting an artist, song, or album you like, and Pandora takes it from there. Plus, there are only a few advertisements, which is great, as the current iTunes radio station I listen to plays so many ads that I typically abandon listening in a short period. So, if you're looking to try some new music, check out Pandora. (Thanks, Shellie and JD...)

I'm currently about a third of the way into A Circle of Souls, a book that I was asked to review for the author. It's not the type of book that I usually read, but so far it's been worth the read, especially from a first-time author. To me, the book is like reading an episode of House, M.D. mixed with CSI and Law & Order. Again, not my typical genre, but I like branching out, and feel that it's good to do so. I'll have the review up here when I finish.

I think tomorrow I will start a new type of post. I'll (potentially) designate Wednesday's as "Writing Wednesdays," where I'll post up some new writing. This will typically be prose, often in the short story style, but occasionally verse will creep its way up, too. And I think that by designating a day for this type of post will force me to meet the personal deadline.

That's it for now. If it's cool and feels like Fall wherever you are, make sure you enjoy the day. Relish the season every day you can, as the next season is not as pleasant. Remember the Stark's mantra, "Winter is Coming."

2 comments:

David Wagner said...

I'll have to let Paula know that you do, in fact, use the word "autumn"... 'tis a good season indeed, but out here in SoCal, it's not much different than the rest of the year, (un)fortunately.

I like your Writing Wednesday idea. I look forward to seeing what you post tomorrow.

I used to do the Pandora thing - not sure why I stopped. I'll have to load it up again...

Winter Is Coming, indeed... it will probably come and go long before A Dance with Dragons does...

logankstewart said...

Thanks, David. Hopefully ADWD makes a debut next year.