Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Being Health Conscious

Wow, with as bad a day as I had on Saturday, wait till I tell you how awesome my Monday was!  (That’s for you, Dave.  But this post won’t actually be about that, nor does it mean that it’s necessarily true.  I mean, why, exactly, am I still watching Heroes?)

I pointed out a few weeks ago that I joined a gym.  The point is, of course, to get healthier.  And by healthier I mean lose weight, gain muscle, and achieve an overall better sense of self health.  I have 24-hr gym access for the next 15 months or so, and I fully intend to take advantage of it.  So far I’ve only gone on Mondays, but I hope to eventually be able to go 3-4 days per week.

One of my goals is to lose weight and lower my BMI.  Currently, as of yesterday morning, I weighed 228.8 lbs.  While I’m not obese, I am overweight for my six foot height, and I think losing some weight will help my body feel better.  In addition to going to the gym I’ve been limiting/watching what/how much I eat.

One problem I have is that I don’t drink enough water.  I like water, but I like Diet Mtn. Dew, too.  And the Dew provides that little boost of caffeine in the morning that I love so very much.  And the cold, cold acid burning my insides, too, which is an additional perk.

I like vegetable and fruits, so that’s no problem.  If fruit wasn’t so expensive, I think I could happily eat it all the time.  Really, my biggest problem is just overeating, or not limiting my portions.  I’m so used to having all that I want (and I don’t want to waste anything) that I eat until I’m more-than-full.  So, once I get down the portion control thing and the gym thing together, hopefully I’ll see some results.

And we all know that I like cheesecakes.  And other deserts, too.  And the quick, convenience of eating fast food.  And Doritos.  And Ramen.  Curse it.  I didn’t wind up going to the gym last night, as I felt a bit under the weather.

Tonight, Alex and I are going out on the town again with our backpacks.  I first mentioned this back on December 10.  This time we’re planning on riding the busses around town, hoping to meet people on the bus.  With the still below freezing temperatures and snow, we’ll hopefully be able to help some folks.

Random Bits and Pieces

  • I have a headache.
  • Spider-Man 4 has been officially canceled, with practically everyone involved canned.
  • My brother will be in Bagram in Afghanistan.
  • Brandon Sanderson posted on his blog yesterday that the likelihood of a Mistborn movie is very high, with production starting late 2010/early 2011.
  • The Avatar depression blues thing is hilarious.  Really?
  • Writing Wednesdays tomorrow.

11 comments:

Crystal said...

I love they gym. I started going after my husband and I separated to lose weight, handle my stress and to have something to do after work. Good luck with your goals.

I hope this time you have more luck passing out the backpacks. Maybe you'll run into Sean.

Very random, but the word verification I have to type in is "ishark". Just thought I would share.

Stephanie Fey said...

Come over to Mordan House - eat ghost on toast! Yummy!

Steph :)

logankstewart said...

@Crystal: The gym is definitely a stress relaxing place. There's just something about doing all that work and forgetting about life.

Sweet! You can start playing the WV game if'n you want. Just type the wv word and make up a definition, like, WV: ishark--the new ocean product by Apple.

@Steph: Mmm. Ghost on toast. Sounds like a lite, tasty snack. Not sure if it's healthy, but lite, no doubt.

David Wagner said...

A Mistborn movie! Sweet!

I hear ya on the working out thing. I'm getting pretty pudgy/flabby in my old age as well. I have other (more depressing) reasons for not working out, which I won't elaborate upon at the moment, since I know that they're reasons that are lame and simply need to be overcome. Squish me luck.

Good luck on the backpack thing.

logankstewart said...

@David: I'm excited about the movie, too. I hope it does the book justice. Good luck with working out/being healthier, and thanks for the backpack well wishes.

Krista said...

Man, I love Cheesecake, too, really just food in general! It seems to be easier to lose weight than to keep it off, though :) I seem to be better at gaining, anyway! Lol

Man, I hope they do a mistborn movie!! That'd be super cool :)

logankstewart said...

Mmmmm. Cheesecake.... mmmmmm...

A Mistborn movie would be more than super cool, it's be super-dooper cool!

David Wagner said...

The movie might encourage people to ingest trace amounts of metals, though... this is ungood...

Unknown said...

Logan -
A Mistborn movie... how very cool!

I am also liking the dark green of your blog. It looks nice. This bad follower has not been by for awhile... but I will catch up.. I hope. :)

logankstewart said...

Dave: You could be on to something there.

Shellie: Indeed, a cool idea, as long as it's done correctly. And thanks for liking the new look.

Genies said...

a lot of benefit from the above article, and hopefully this article can be a reliable source of all other resources. Thank you very much. obat alami kaki pecah-pecah