Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Few Things

Fellow blogger Dave had an intriguing, comment-filled post the other day.  In it he made a list of popular things that he’s never done.  As much as I like lists, and as intrigued as I was by the possibilities, I thought that I should follow suit.

Things I’ve Never Done

I’ve never been out of the country.  (This will be remedied 5/9/10.)
I’ve never watched an episode of Star Trek or American Idol.
I’ve never been to a high school or college sports event, but I did play on the high school tennis team.
I’ve never taken drugs.
I’ve never cut off one of my hands and replaced it with a hook or chainsaw.
I’ve never had surgery or broken any bones.
I’ve never been on Twitter.
I’ve never met a celebrity.
I’ve never played a MMORPG.
I’ve never played Rock Band.

I could fill this up with so many things that I’ve never done, but that should be enough.  Enough with the negativity.  And the flip side of this list is a more positive one.

Things I Have Done

I’ve watched every episode of LOST and Heroes, but I’m tired of the latter.
I’ve bought a house and now have a mortgage.
I’ve graduated from college with my Masters in Civil & Environmental Engineering.
I’ve been pulled over thrice: two warnings and one speeding ticket.
I’ve laughed in the face of danger in an elephant graveyard and then hyenas came out and scared me and then Mufasa rescued me.
I’ve written countless short stories with hopes and dreams and then grew tired and let them fall to the wayside.
I’ve watched Julie & Julia.
I’ve been in a head-on-collision.
I’ve read through the entire Bible.  (I think.) 
I’ve watched my brother accidentally light his blue jeans on fire and then run around in the yard while me and Tanner laughed at him.
I’ve baked a few made-from-scratch cheesecakes.
I volunteered as an environmental awareness person for the Counting Crows, Maroon 5, and Augustana.  I got free tickets and I got to get into the venue before sound check started, so that was pretty cool.

How about that, Dave?  A list of things I have done.  How… positive?  What other sort of options can follow up? 

Things I Want to Do

I want to play Dragon Age.
I want to go to the UK, Germany, Italy, and Greece.
I want to play tennis and disc golf more.
I want to master guitar, mandolin, piano, banjo, dulcimer, harmonica, violin, bagpipe, saxophone, and voice.
I want my city to secede from the world and be its own independent entity, with me as its ruling Grand Chancellor.
I want to get a new computer.
I want to draw more.
I want to take a nap.

It’s only logical that there be an immediate sequel.

Things I Don’t Want to Do

I don’t want to set the world on fire.
I don’t wanna be anything other than what I’ve been trying to be lately.
I don’t want robots to take over the world.
I don’t want my brother to go to Afghanistan.
I don’t want Jon & Kate to stay broken up.
I don’t want to wait for our lives to be over…
I don’t want to have another headache today.

Is that it?  No, of course not.  These lists are no way exhaustive.  In fact, I’d be willing to say that each list has the propensity to approach infinity as the number of elements contained within the set increases likewise.

More Things

Shellie, from Layers of Thought, is having a giveaway of a signed, 1st edition copy of The Gathering Storm.  The post with this information is available here.
Stella was sick all day yesterday and the night before.  The night before last I woke up from vomit in the bed.  Then she didn’t eat anything all day yesterday and looked pitiful.  Last night was even worse.  I’m running on only a few hours of sleep, but the puppy seems to be doing better.
We’ve officially booked our cruise for the Eastern Caribbean.  It’ll be our first real vacation in a long time.
I’m almost halfway through Firefly, and I’m loving it.
I thought this Very Demotivational Poster was pretty funny.

Anything else I wish to add?  A list of list of Favorite Coffee Moments?  No, I don’t think so.  What I do think is that I’m going to be sleepy today.  Tune in for Writing Wednesdays tomorrow.

13 comments:

Crystal said...

I was thinking of making a list of things i've never done for my blog, too.

Here that Dave, you've inspired us!

Chelsea is doing something similar on her blog where she actually does something she's never done. I think I might try to do that too. We'll see.

Krista said...

I've never had surgery or broken any bones either! YAY! go us! I have had stitches, though. I was always one of those kids that laughed in the face of danger! lol!

Heroes the first season was the best and where they're taking it is kind of getting old, I agree. It could have been awesome, though! Never seen Lost... My friend asked me if I've been living under a rock! lol!

What??? never went to a live HS or college game??? Live games are THE BEST!! Nasscar, too!

Twitter is no fun anyway... lol!

Well, I went to High School and met Jacob Lacey who plays for the Colts... does that count as meeting a celebrity?? lol.

OMG that is so funny about your brother that would have been something to see for sure!

Wow you survived A HEAD ON COLLISION- now that’s an amazing rarity!

whoops kind of a scattered comment! haha

Awesome lists! All the best Logan!!

Bill said...

I'm curious Logan, when do you typically compose your blog posts? I would presume much of the Writing Wednesdays posts require preparation of some sort, but the same could probably be said of posts like this.

Oh, and in case you were interested, I've been reading Bram Stoker's Dracula for a little over a month now I think. The 1800s style of writing and story telling can get frustrating but in total I've been very impressed!

logankstewart said...

@Crystal: I thought it was a pretty interesting idea. It was tougher than I thought it would be.

@Krista: Stitches ain't no fun, and that is the truth. I had some when I was a wee lad on the back o' me noggin. I'm just not much of a football or basketball fan, which were the only major sports in my regions. Baseball and tennis, now, those are a different story.

@Bill: Many of my posts are written in advance and finalized at work, but some are also written during my early hours of work, when the morning routine is finished.

Dracula was definitely interesting and different, but truly was not even close to being as good as Frankenstein was. If you've not read Frankenstein then I highly recommend it. I did like the epistolary style of Dracula, though.

David Wagner said...

Killer lists! I realize now how much I missed when I stopped thinking about it... Crystal, it's really Krista's comment a few posts ago about never having seen LOST that inspired this "list" trend... that's what got me thinking about it in the first place!

Fun post today, Logan. Great, now you have "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" stuck in my head... *sigh* I better go play some Fallout 3 now...

logankstewart said...

@Dave: Haha! I've had that song as my ringtone for many months. Heck, I have the Galaxy News Radio soundtrack, which is pretty sweet. Three dog here...Owwwwwwwww!

Krista said...

Ha-ha, Logan, it didn't bother me when getting my stitches I actually watched the whole thing. I was such a tom-boy... not so much anymore. lol

And I don't like watching baseball on TV, but I love live games and trying to play. I was on a team once when I was lil'- my dad made me 'cause my lil' brother wanted to play and he wouldn't unless I did. My brother continued to play (not me, I was never very good at playing) and my dad was his coach a few years, too. :) I loved going to the games! :)

Krista said...

@ David, haha, it's cool a comment can jar a idea like that! It was all you my good sir, all you! :)

logankstewart said...

@Krista: I vividly remember getting my stitches. I was 5. I was playing Nintendo (the original) and got excited and leaned backwards in my chair, which happened to tip over. The back of my skull collided with the corner of the dresser. I kept my cool until all the blood started pouring from my head. Then I was rushed to l'hopital where I was doctored up. That's my only stitches memory, and it's likely why I'm crazy today.

David Wagner said...

Logan, did you see the Fallout 3 Wagnervana comic I did? If not, I can send you a link. I thought it was pretty funny...

logankstewart said...

@Dave: Yeah, I remember seeing that when looking through your blog/site. The PipBoy and computer stuff, right? It was pretty (geeky) funny. Right up my alley.

Unknown said...

Great lists Logan! A very thorough compilation. I love traveling and I am bummed you haven't gone anywhere. But soon remedied I see : ) You don't want Jon and Kate to be broken up? Other then the problems associated with a herd of small children running around, she seems better off without him.

Looking forward to all the other lists everyone comes up with : )

logankstewart said...

@Rebecca: Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Kate definitely seems better off without Jon, but I wish they had managed to work out their differences for their kids' sakes.