Thursday, April 08, 2010

A Trip Through the Garden of the Mind

They say there is no Sanctuary.  They say it’s a thoughtcrime to doublethink like I do.  They say Simon didn’t really see the “Beast” on that island after the crash.  They even say the soma is good for you, but I hear it’s high in calories. 

Weird Al Yankovic has mixed feelings on downloading music from the Internet.

“I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I’m concerned that the rampant downloading of my copyright-protected material over the Internet is severely eating into my album sales and having a decidedly adverse effect on my career. On the other hand, I can get all the Metallica songs I want for FREE! WOW!!!!!”—Ask Al Q&A for 7/5/03

I could listen to Iron & Wine pretty much all day long, especially this song.  Is it any wonder that I&W had an album that ranked #6 on my crazy iPod journey I took last year?  No, I think not.

“Abandoned Ode on a Styrofoam Cup”
by LoganKStewart

Thou white and blue cup of silence!
Thou sweet orphan of polystyrene and passion.
Has e’er there been a container as grand as thee?
How you quiver in the wind.
How you light and fail ‘neath the flame.


I just finished watching Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog again.  I love it as much now as I did the first time I watched it.  The plot is perfect, ripe with humor and emotion.  The songs are all phenomenal.  The ending is still tragic and sad.  If you’ve ne’er watched it, then I strongly suggest that you do so immediately.  All three acts are probably available somewhere fo’ free on the Interwebs.

Here’s a fan video someone created in response to Dr. Horrible.  It’s an imagined 8-bit version of the musical’s first Act, and it’s pretty cool.

Thirty-one days til I’m in the Caribbean.  My mind’s been on vacation for the last month or so.  I cannot wait to be on the boat, surrounded by food and fun.  I can’t wait to see the blue-green waters and feel the warm, coarse sands.

I watched Up in the Air last night.  ‘Twas a good movie with great themes and acting, but quite sad, too.  It left me filled with thoughts and possibilities, thinking about our modern world and the lack of personal relationships.  George Clooney did an excellent job, as did all the other actors in the film.  I felt the film hit the Realism aspect of life dead on.

Oh look!  Is that a tulip sprouting from my flower garden I planted last weekend?  And the hostas are growing up quite well, too.

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do………………

4 comments:

David Wagner said...

Loved the ode to the Styrofoam cup. Glad you liked Up In The Air, not a bad flick. Beats the heck out of A Serious Man, which I hated. What a useless movie *that* was...

I've heard of Dr. Horribles etc., but never looked into it. If you recommend it, I'll dig a bit deeper...

On your Otherwhere's link list, the first link is broken. And Captain Joe has not updated since July of last year. I think he's long gone...

logankstewart said...

I once wrote a short-story from the POV of Styrofoam cups. I should try to find that...

Definitely stop whatever it is your doing and watch Dr Horrible immediately. I'll never forgive you if you don't. (Unless you can't stand NPH or a musical, then I can forgive you, but the music is great!)

Ah, yes, the top link is broken, and the second is old, but I can't bring myself to delete the old bloggers just in case they e'er return to the blogosphere...

Krista said...

Cool poem! Haha loved it.

Have never seen Dr. Horrible before nor heard of it. I'll have to look for it, too. However, I have seen Dr. StrangeLove and oh what a movie! So funny! :D

Up in the Air was a really good movie and indeed very sad. I couldn't believe she was married though my husband seen it coming! Mean. lol

I hope you have a great time on your cruise. Man, I wanna go!

Great post, Logan.

logankstewart said...

@Krista: Let me re-iterate what I said to Dave. Stop whatever it is you're doing and watch the three Acts of Dr. Horrible. It is nothing but pure awesome.

Aye, I figured that lady was married in Up in the Air, too, but it still was a shocker to actually see it. I guess you can only keep hope alive for so long.