Friday, December 10, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday: The Monster

As mentioned yesterday, this is a test to see how effective a story can be told using only dialogue/monologue.  I might have taken some liberties and switched POVs, which could be cheating, I suppose,  but oh well.
----

     “So what you’re saying is that that thing escaped? A thirty foot tall monster somehow escaped?”
     “Yeah, boss, that’s what I’m telling ya.”
     “It’s probably out there right now, eating little kids and drowning puppies. How does that make you feel, Johnson? Like a security guard?”
     “No, sir, like an, uhm, insecurity guard, sir.”
     “Funny. A security guard is, and correct me if I’m wrong, supposed to keep things secure. Things like that monster, that horrible, pillaging, destructive monster. I think I can hear an old lady crying out for help. You hear that, Henderson?”
     “Yes, sir, I do hear it.”
     “What does it sound like she’s saying to you?”
     “It sounds like... help me! If Johnson would’ve kept this thing locked up I wouldn’t be dying right now! Ack! HELP!
     “That’s exactly what I heard, too, Henderson.”
     “Come on, now. That’s--”
     “Is that gunfire I hear?”
     “I believe so, sir. Big guns. Armor piercing, by the sounds.”
     “It’s gonna take more than guns to bring it down. A lot more than guns. Have to call in the Big Boys, I guess. And I don’t like calling in the Big Boys, Johnson, in case you were thinking I did. So I’m gonna make a few phone calls, and when I get back, I want you to have this sorted out. Can you do that for me, Johnson? Can you have it together?”
     “I--”
     “Excellent. Come on, Henderson.”

***

     This is News at 6, and I’m Caleb Mason. Tonight our top story is our only story, folks. I’m sure by now you’re all aware of the complete destruction of New Mexico and half of Arizona. I’m really not sure what to say that could put to words the enormity of the situation. All I have are a few details.
     First, the monster is still unaccounted for. Officials believe that it is trapped somewhere within the Estrella Mountain National Park. The area is currently completely surrounded by military forces from Arizona and California. Temporary walls are being constructed at this moment to keep it at bay until a more feasible solution presents itself.
     We’re still unsure what exactly it is. The President is scheduled to make an announcement at eight, and hopefully he will fill us in with more information. All we know is that the thing appears to be unstoppable. The best thing you can do is pray for the people over in Arizona and New Mexico.
     Pray that whatever it is it’ll be stopped before it’s too late.

***

     “What do you think it is, Jen?”
     “I’ll tell you exactly what I think it is. My friend Max used to live over in New Mexico and always said he saw weird stuff going on out in the desert. He was kind of a conspiracy theory guy, but he swears that one night he was out minding his own business when he was kidnapped and taken to some underground lab or something. Says that there were a bunch of doctors and scientists and stuff doing experiments on him. Before he got out he says he saw a bunch of animals being tested on, too. I think this thing must be one of those mutated animals or something.”
     “That’s ridiculous.”
     “It’s not any more ridiculous than a thirty foot tall turtle looking thing walking around the city, is it?”
     “Point. Still, if Max was kidnapped, how’d he get out? They just let him go? It doesn’t make sense.”
     “No, he snuck out one afternoon in an export truck. Got right outta New Mexico that day and been on the run ever since.”
     “I don’t believe it.”
     “Don’t matter whether you believe it or not, it’s the truth.”

***

     “Can you believe that thing’s been trapped in there for three weeks now? They still ain’t any closer to stopping it.”
     “Yeah. What’s creepin’ me out is how it’s just pretty much sat still for most of that time, like it’s hypnotized or somethin’.”
     “Weird.”
     “Yep. Hand me that tape Kerry, will ya?”
     “You guys think this wall will really hold it in there? I mean, look at all the damage it did making its way here.”
     “It’ll hold it in, Abe. Yer just a worrier.”
     “Don’t look now, but here comes Jim.”
     “I’m not paying you guys to stand around and talk. Get back to work!”

***

     I have decided to take my life as punishment for the destruction I have caused. When I started working on this project I had only good intentions in mind. Somehow, along the way, my path to good turned down a dark and twisted road that I did not see until it was too late. By then, the project was no longer mine, and when I started complaining I was forced to step aside.
     I know now that I should have came forward earlier with the documents on the accompanying flash drive, but should have’s are worth as much as a promise from a liar. There’s too much money poured into the project and I’m sure that no one will actually stop the thing before it’s too late.
     I’m sorry for everything and never meant for any of this to happen.
 
Word Count: 860

No comments: