Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Not This Crap Again

Oh what joy it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh!

And if that horse should, say, break its leg or stumble?  Joy mayn't last long.

As some of you know, a little over a year ago I had some trying circumstances at work.  Everyone was reduced to four-day weeks, effectively cutting everyone's pay by 20%.  A few people were laid off and/or let go.  Then paychecks started arriving late, sometimes very, very, very late.  I continued working four-day weeks up until Avonlea was born, when some craziness happened and suddenly I was paid everything I was owed and put back on five-day weeks.

Avonlea is six-point-four months old now.  No problems.  Until today.  "Paychecks are going to be late," I was told.  "How late?" I ask.  "Don't know."  And I go and ask the President, who also doesn't know.  "Not before Christmas, I guess," I say.  "Nu-uh."  Sigh.  The most wonderful time of the year, indeed.

In addition, I've worked here at the MLC for two-and-a-half years now, and every year our insurance plan has changed.  This year we had a $6k deductible and a $10k OOP.  Rather high, I think.  Consider: Keisha had an emergency C-section to deliver Avonlea, followed by a few days hospital stay; Keisha fell and had some x-rays and urgent care; Keisha and Avonlea had some routine medical stuff.  Through all of this, we still haven't hit our deductible.  But wait, there's more.  Our new-and-improved plan, effective 1/1/2012, changes everything.  Now we're looking forward to a $10k deductible and a $12k OOP!

If it sounds like I'm aggravated at the MLC, then you may be on to something.  It's hard to have a passion to want to work if you don't feel valued.  It's also hard when you get very little communication between the Chief Potentates and us brave peons.  (Days can pass without so much as a "hullo.")  Worst of all, it's hard to want to work when you're not getting paid.  Dang it, I want to work and I want to be a good little boy and I want my money!  Why is this so difficult?

I'm hoping/banking on getting paid next week.  But whether I do or not, I'm not going to let it spoil my first Christmas with Avonlea and the last of my vacation time for the year.  I'll get it when I get it.  Until then, the Dude abides.

Post Script: The pun is intentional.

8 comments:

Bill said...

Whoa, nice site layout. I guess it's been awhile since I clicked through the RSS feed!

More importantly, I'd definitely recommend researching other job opportunities. It doesn't hurt to see what's out there, and you can't know how badly you're being undervalued until you check. Pay cuts, late checks, crappy insurance, and unresponsive management are all good reasons to maintain options, my friend.

Anonymous said...

what a crappy stress-ball. I agree with Bill, about see what your options are.

I hope you will see the checks sooner than later. sure you should get paid what you are worth, but not getting paid at all (i.e. timely manner) is absolutely ridiculous. having just gone to the dentist today, I cannot speak to the theft that is insurance without profanity. they, too, have adjusted Sean's insurance (again) for the new year. one of an Architect's greatest assets, their eyes. do they get visual? a pittance, a *&#( salt shard to rub in the ---- yeah, see?

anyway, I hope you and Kendra have a fabulous first Christmas with Avonlea! I bet she is loving the twinkling lights and the festive colors, and wait for the crinkling paper... :)

~L

ibeeeg said...

Wow Logan! Nothing like adding some stress to one of the most beautiful times of the year...umm..yeah, that line just flew out of my head. Still though, it is really crappy and low of a company to do this not only once but twice! I agree with Bill, you should research out your options. It seems to me that an employee should feel valued as you mention, and not just with a nice hand shake, but with recognition of hello, pay on time, and decent benefits. It would be hard for me to carry on with a smiling face, and good attitude at work if I had to endure as you with my employer.

I do hope you and Keisha enjoy your first Christmas with Avonlea. A precious time that will never be experienced quite the same way again.

logankstewart said...

@Bill: Aye, I know. I'm not exactly sure how the whole job search thing works once you're employed. I mean, if I have an interview, wouldn't the company call and check references (my boss), who then would likely ask "what the heck?" Still, it's worth seriously contemplating.

@L: I hear ya. Insurance and the lack thereof (vision isn't included at all and dental is crap) always leads me to a state of frustration. What a shame.

@ibeeeg: Agreed. Nothing says Christmas like a slap in the face! It is hard to carry on with a good attitude, but I try. Who knows for how long, though, eh?

Okie said...

yikes...that sucks.

Keep your chin up. Wishing you the best of luck and a happy holiday all things considered. :)

Anonymous said...

I asked Sean about his approach to looking for work while still employed, which he has done, for varying reasons:

"in the case of looking for work without losing what you have I usually ask prospective employers to hold off speaking with my current employer. I tell them that if the conversation moves beyond the initial then i will be happy for them to speak to my current employer, but as i still have to work here i would ask them to respect my position while we are feeling each other out..."

by the "initial", it is seeing what is available and whether another place could be the better fit. prospective's are usually looking at his portfolio, etc for fit, and sometimes talking to his previous or outside of firm contacts. admittedly, a few have balked, for fear of poaching, but usually, the prospective's understand when Sean explains why he is looking at their job posting.

~L

Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes, that sucks. It is ridiculous for a company to expect its workers to go forth on good faith rather than honoring their commitments. I imagine it is very, very hard to do your best work. I pray your wait isn't long and am glad to hear that you are going to keep your head up and enjoy the Christmas holiday.

logankstewart said...

@Okie: Thank you.

@L@Sean: Thank you very much for the insight. I had no idea. My interviewing experience is rather, uhm, narrow, and never anything like this.

@Carl: Thanks for the prayer, friend.