Monday, January 30, 2012

Daredevil 2.3 - Wake Up


Wow. I knew Brian Michael Bendis was praised as a comic writer, and now I see why.Wake Up, Volume 2.3 of Daredevil, is deep and powerful. But as good as the writing was, the story was just as much artist David Mack's work as it was Bendis'. 

Ben Urich is a Daily Bugle investigative journalist sent by J. Jonah Jameson to report on the "Crime of the Century." Instead, Ben stumbles upon something more important, at least to him, and that's the story of a boy named Timmy. Timmy is shocked into a catatonic state by witnessing something horrible. Something involving his missing dead-beat dad.  Something about Daredevil.  He spends his time in a hospital drawing comics and generally ignoring the world around him.  

As Ben digs deeper, he begins to ache for Timmy and does everything in his power to help the boy. But what's more, Ben wants to know what's caused his pain. 

I loved Wake Up, and it definitely is the best of the Daredevil comics so far. While not as flashy and showy as most superhero comics, and definitely nowhere near as light, it's a wonderfully drawn and written story.  And ultimately we get to see more character development from Daredevil to Ben Urich, whom I'd never heard of. 

I have to take a minute and address Mack's art. The styles are constantly changing, and the fluidity really adds to the mental state Timmy is in. Characters even look different from panel to panel. I'm tempted to say that this may be one of the best looking comics I've ever read, and that's saying something. It's obvious how much work Mack put into these four comics, as they're quite mesmerizing. 

Daredevil 2.3: Wake Up pretty much stands on its own as a story. No prior knowledge of the Man Without Fear is needed, but it would add to the depth of the tale. Nevertheless, if you're itching to try a Daredevil comic, then I can easily recommend this 4-issue run. Here's to hoping Bendis can maintain this standard I've set for him.

EDIT: Even though I just read Volume 2.2 recently, I didn't make the connection that David Mack, the artist for Wake Up, was the writer for the fantastic Parts of a Hole.  Looking back, it's easy to see Mack's influence on the storyline of Daredevil and Echo.  Not only that, but Mack was the cover illustrator for those comics as well, which I thought were excellent.  I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for this guy.  He can write and draw...

4 comments:

Alex Hagerman said...

Have you read or seen much art from Alex Ross?

logankstewart said...

I own Kingdom Come and the Earth X, Universe X, and Paradise X series. Ross is a great artist, especially at depicting Realism in comic books. And while I like and appreciate his stuff, the surreal/blended style of Mack really is quite striking. It's reminiscent of a dream-like setting almost.

Alex Hagerman said...

I'll have to check him out, I think right now Ross is my favorite artist across the board of comics, but I haven't read Daredevil so with the praise your giving the writing and art I'm going to have to check this out.

logankstewart said...

I'm a very big fan of Fables longtime artist Mark Buckingham. He has a very clean but detail-oriented style. I also really like Tim Sale's work a lot, especially when collaborating with Jeph Loeb. Oh, and I like Cory Walker's work in Invincible quite a bit, too. Lots of good ones.

Definitely check out Daredevil if you ever get a chance. Some cool stuff happening here.