Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Darth Vader

There comes a time in every young man's life that he finally realizes what he wants to be when he grows up. There are multiple dreams and ambitions, but there is always one definite epiphany. At least there was for me. An epiphany that rattles to the bone marrow.
I wanted to become Darth Vader. If wielding the ultimate powers of the Dark Side wasn't enough to tempt me, there was the numerous other traits of Lord Vader that were certainly admirable. He, like Johnny Cash, was a man in black. His suit was constructed to fit him perfectly, casting that ominous shadow everywhere he went. He had a lightsaber for cryin' out loud. What kind of person doesn't want to own a lightsaber? Vader also was the second most powerful person in the galaxy (at least in order of command by the Empire) and had the authority to demolish entire planets. Logically it can be determined that Darth Vader could do whatever he pleased.

But then comes the dilemma. Darth Vader, a Dark Lord of the Sith, had too many problems. Being Darth Vader comes with the burden of loss and anguish. To take on the mask means taking on his pain. He believed that Padme would die and he wanted to save her. Satan, I mean,Chancellor Palpatine twisted Vader's mind to where he didn't know what to believe. He only thought that he had to trust Palpatine to help him save Padme. Foolish, aye, but out of love. A deep love for Padme. And there was also the sorrow of having killed numerous (practically all) Jedi. He not only failed in the Order, but he failed himself.

So being Darth Vader is a tricky business. Indeed the powers and shiny black suit would be mine, but as would the heartache. I believe I must pass on it. Though the Dark Side tempts me, I shall not give in. I shall remain myself, loyal to the true Force. The Light Side is too strong to leave. And Vader finally comes back over to it, so why should I want to be him anyway? I'm sure he'd forsake all that's Dark.....

No comments: