Thursday, January 14, 2010

More Miscellany

coandogWhat a week.  Wow.  I mean, I found out yesterday that the MLC has changed its  insurance plan.  I was excited to finally get health insurance when I got my job, and then I found out that my insurance basically sucks.  A $4000 deductible, which will never be met, was what I had.  Up until that point, everything had to be paid out of pocket.  But then, yesterday, my company changed the plan!  Now I have a $5000 deductible!  How awesome is that?  Right?

My boss did call me into his office this morning and told me that I got approved for my vacation days, so that’s great.  Within the next day or two I’ll hopefully be booking a cruise to the Caribbean scheduled 5/9-5/16.  Should be pretty sweet, since we’ve never been on a cruise before.

I was also told that I got a raise, which was even more awesome and completely unexpected.  I’ve not even been with the company a year and I already got a raise!  What a week…

If you recall, I posted two poems last week, “see the man” and “jetson mancer.”  I know will post a third related bit.

"the planning", or "isabella's secret, pt. 2"

night after night
after night after
night after night
he would play the cheat,
'specially after she got too sick to dance.

dollar after dollar
after dollar after dollar
he'd spend on the women,
all of them but poor isabella poorsight.

a bad lot in life,
poor sight and cancer,
a cheating husband,
but she took it in stride.

day after day
after day after
day after day
she planned her plan,
'specially after she got too sick to dance.

knife after knife
after knife after knife
she'd sharpen in the cellar,
all of them for cheating jetson mancer.

she wasn't blind yet
and wasn't dead yet
and she had nothing to lose.

Keisha’s birthday was yesterday.  She turned 22.  I bought her a present and hid it in the glove box of my car.  Then I made up clues (like a scavenger hunt) and hid those around the house.  Then I gave her her birthday card, which contained clue #1.  Eventually she found her present, Snow White on Blu-Ray.  Now we don’t currently have a Blu-Ray player, but the darned thing came with a DVD copy, too, and it was only $5 more than the DVD.  Plus, I’m hopeful that one day quasi-soon we’ll get a Blu-Ray player.  Or a PS3…

My birthday is tomorrow.  Keisha’s granddad’s B-Day is today.  We’re all pretty close.

Last night we practiced music with the new Minister of Music at the church.  We’re going to try and get a praise band to play with the choir as opposed to music tracks.  I’m kind of excited, since it’ll definitely force me to play better and improve.

I can’t get this song out of my head.  I’ve been a Jars of Clay fan for years, and I’ve liked this song, but recently I really fell in love with it.  It’s a song of three parts and the raw passion/amazing build-up is breathtaking.  If you’ve never heard the song you should give it a listen.  All the way to the end, too.  Cause that’s when it’s really powerful.  I challenge you to listen to it and think about the words and not be affected.

If you’ve not entered Pat Rothfuss’ Worldbuilders charity drive, you really should.  Tomorrow is the last day, and there are over a thousand prizes.  Every $10 gets you a ticket, plus it all goes to Heifer International.  Man, that reminds me, I need to do a post on Pat some time soon.  Perhaps next week.

I’m with Coco.  Are you?  Let’s keep Haiti in our prayers.

10 comments:

David Wagner said...

That's quite a song, you're right. I think that one deserves a few repeat viewings/hearings...

Happy birthday! Yeah, a day early. That's in case I forget tomorrow. I am a scatterbrain sometimes...

Thanks for posting.

logankstewart said...

Yes, the song is one that makes me want to fall to my knees immediately. And thanks for the early B-Day wishes.

Crystal said...

Congrats on the raise!!

I'm jealous that you're going on a cruise!! Are you leaving from Miami?

logankstewart said...

Thanks, I'm glad I got a raise. That makes things a bit nicer. As for cruise departing port, I do believe that we'll be leaving from Miami. I'll have more information as the time draws closer, but for now I'm excited!

Stephanie Fey said...

"Knife after knife" was a fantastic and effective twist on day and night. Very powerful, sir!

And glad to hear you're getting a raise and an insurance perk. What a change from a few days ago! Congratulations!

Oh, song was fantastic too. I hadn't heard it before.

Steph :)

logankstewart said...

Thanks, Steph. I kind of liked the "knife after knife" part, too.

The raise is awesome. The insurance stuff was just poorly worded sarcasm, cause my insurance went downhill with the adventure into the new year. Ah, well, a raise still makes up for it hopefully.

Glad you liked the song.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Congrats on the raise, and good job with the poem. I'm reminded that I am 1 week overdue on posting Chapter 10 of my serial. Need to get to work on that.

Never been a Jars of Clay fan, but I'm not real familiar with them either, so that's a pretty arbitrary thing to say, I suppose.

On the Conan thing, well, I just don't watch much TV, and certainly not that time slot, so it's difficult for me to form an opinion.

David Wagner said...

Perhaps your raise is related to the story you told last week about the homeless guy that sort of took advantage of your generosity at a time when funds were low. A little sowing and reaping action going on...

logankstewart said...

@Denby: Thank you, thank you, and arbitrary, yes, I suppose. Jars of Clay is a pretty sweet band. I don't often watch late night tv, but I have fond memories of Conan, and he's in the right about this one.

@Dave: Perhaps... or it could just be a crazy random happenstance. But I like your idea better.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

NO, I tend to agree with David. What goes around comes around, brother.

Forgot to mention that I don't know anything about the Rothfuss World Builder thing, but Ima gonna check it out!