Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fleeting Hymn #2b

I'm having *difficulties* writing the review to the life-changing book I mentioned last week.  I suppose that's to be expected.  The draft, so far, is looong, which qualifies it as a Review+ instead of a typical review.  But, if I keep going, it may reach Review++ status, which would be a first.

Keisha met with the cardiologist Tuesday.  I wish all doctors were as great as this guy was.  He obviously read and was familiar with Keisha's file before he entered the room, and his care and assurance were obvious.  Thankfully, and praise God, I might add, he sees no cause for immediate concern, and says that she can continue on with the labor plans as normal (instead of an induction and C-section).  She does have high BP, which is a somewhat common concern many pregnant women face, but other than that, the cardiologist sees nothing as bad as Keisha feared.

I'm almost a hundred pages into Scalzi's Old Man's War, which showed up at my house in an unmarked padded envelope one evening with the post.  Through careful deduction and innocent skullduggery, I tracked down who sent it to me.  It's a reader of this blog.  So thanks for that gift, and I'm really enjoying it so far. 

(As a side, it's amazing how generous bloggers and blog-readers are.  Humanity, it seems, hasn't hit the crapper yet.  Sure, there are jerks out there, and we're all idiots, but as far as I can tell, the readers of Rememorandom are some of the finest out there.)

There once was a band that had a single on a Paste sampler I once owned.  This song always brought a smile to my ears (?) whenever it entered the straits of my iPod.  And then, later, there was another free single from the band, which again was marvelous.  But that was as far as I got with them.  Until recently.  For you see, I was perusing the cd shelves in the library when, by crazy random happenstance, I saw their eponymous album.  I checked it out and have nearly swooned with tweenage giddiness at their delightful harmonies and exotic sounds.  I am talking about Dr. Funke's 100 Percent Natural Good Time Family Band Solution Fleet Foxes.  Oh my.  Fleet Foxes' Fleet Foxes is an amazing album.  Wow.  Now I need to wait for Amazon to put it on their $5 mp3 albums and get it.  Listen to this all the way to the end.  How awesome is that?

I miss Arrested Development...  Sure, Modern Family is pretty funny, but there's nothing out there that compares to the humor AD had.  Not even How I Met Your Mother, which, let's face it, is losing steam.  Uh, what?

I'm rambling.  Must be time to end this sucker.  Maybe a review tomorrow, I dunno.  Probably no flash-fic, unless I get a chance to edit some.  We'll see.  Okay then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad the doctor's visit was a good experience and that the news is good.

nice gifting. and i, too, have found the blogosphere inhabitants to be amazingly generous. it's encouraging.

Sean watches HIMYM, and i stop for the occasional three minutes and ask: so has he met their mother yet? Not sure how much longer the rest of the crew can carry Ted.

~L (omphaloskepsis)

Paula Titus said...

Glad everything is okay with wife and baby, God is good. :)

Bill said...

Glad you're not scratching your eyes out from Scalzi's first published novel.

I've gotta agree with you on your TV ruminations. But we must accept the fact that Arrested Development is in our past. Despite our pleas it will never return and even if it did, it'd be a zombie abomination of its former self. :-/

David Wagner said...

I look forward to your review. My life could use a little changing as well...

Glad Keisha is doing well. I'll keep praying. Talk about life-changing... cue the kid!

I enjoyed Old Man's War, for what it's worth. I'm sure you recall my review! :X How cool that someone gifted it to you like that. Way to go, Anonymous! You're making the rest of us look good!

Nice music. You're right; good stuff.

I liked Arrested Development well enough. It was quirky. I liked that episode where that one nerdy brother kept trying to get someone to punch him in the face...

I'm rambling. Must be time to end this comment...

logankstewart said...

@L: Yeah, Ted definitely is the weakest link in the cast, but he's funny from time to time. Usually just cringe-inducing, but sometimes funny...

@Paula: He certainly is!

@Bill: Not scratching my eyes out, for sure. It's been quite good, so far.

@Dave: Yeah, Avonlea's arrival will absolutely be life changing...