Friday, September 20, 2013

The Handmaid's Tale, a Review


Even though it’s been a few weeks since I finished Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, I see Offred’s story in my mind still, like a ripe tangerine split open and glossy in the midsummer’s morning.  I see her, in her red burka like outfit, white wings as blinders on her face.  She’s tragic.  Defeated.  Her loss is gut-wrenching.  How she once had a life—a Life—so normal, just like everybody else.  Married.  A daughter.  A job.  Happy.  But all of that was in a time before the overthrow, before the government was decimated, before the regime took control and installed a patriarchal society.  Women’s rights were gone.

Just like that.

Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale is a classic dystopia that is devastating for its simplicity.  As often is the case in this genre, specifics aren’t exactly forthcoming, but there is enough worldbuilding put together to discern what’s happened.  The book is a quasi-stream-of-consciousness novel chronicling the life of an unnamed Handmaid.  The plot slowly reveals information about her life before she became a Handmaid, and much of this book is melancholic in recollection.

The way the sun would shine and cast a reflection on a man’s hair and send her spiraling backwards, remembering the way he looked in his mundane world.  How he sounded.  How he smelled.  And pages and paragraphs disjointed but connected, a weird juxtaposition that works well, especially as the frame becomes more aware.

Interestingly enough, the Handmaid’s tale never grows stale, and that’s largely due to Atwood’s superior skills as a writer and storyteller.  The language is powerful.  The imagery is rich.  (I really liked what she did with colors in this book.)  The message is a touch heavy-handed (it’s satirical) and required some strong suspension of disbelief on my part (I’m a Realistic altruist to a certain degree), but her point was well made.  I was affronted by the male portrayal throughout the book on many occasions, but her point is conceivably possible.

So what exactly is The Handmaid’s Tale?  It’s a simple story about a woman’s struggle to survive in the world.  She wrestles with past mistakes, with guilt, with a constant fear of death, with God, with many things most of us can relate to.  It’s a bleak picture of what America could become if things went absolutely cat-whiskers crazy.  It’s an absolutely makes-you-wanna-bawl kind of book if you have a two year old daughter (like I do).  It’s a funny kind of novel that elicits the occasional chuckle.


Honestly, The Handmaid’s Tale is novel that’s both striking and entertaining.  I believe Atwood was more concerned about the moral of the story than the actual plot, but both were well done.  The Handmaid’s Tale is a modern classic that may seem uninspired in this modern world of dystopias, but it’s a book that deserves its accolades and, at least in my opinion, deserves a read.  Boldly recommended.

11 comments:

Deb Atwood said...

Thank you for the review. I love so much of Atwood's work (no relation!). Cat's Eye is a favorite, and I just this year read and loved Robber Bride. Maybe I need to move this one up on my tbr list...

Anonymous said...

Great review of a powerful book. I finally read it in the last year and it was everything all my friends (who had been recommending it to me for years) said it was.

Like Deb, earlier this year I also read The Robber Bride. Also excellent but not in the league of TheHandmaid's Tale. My post about The Robber Bride is at http://bibliophilica.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/zenia-aphid-of-the-soul/ if you want to take a look.

-Jay

logankstewart said...

@Deb: Not sure about any of her other works, as this is the only Atwood book I've ever read, but it was definitely enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by.

@bibliophilica: Powerful, indeed. Never heard of The Robber Bride. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

lovely review. I love that her writing can be so stark and so deep and rich.

I pulled a few passages to share with N whose class was talking about setting last week. (not ready for her to read this one yet.) I wanted to show N what can be done in a paragraph, and in a sequence of seemingly disjointed paragraphs. Atwood is a master indeed.

~L

logankstewart said...

@L: Stark, that's a good word for it. And so is disjointed, but with wonderful effect. Thanks!

ammarbder said...

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض

Yang Kuo said...

Thank you for the review. I love so much of Atwood's work (no relation!).



เย็ดสาว

Unknown said...

Quite amazed after reading your post and the way you portrait your blog in front of the audience it really impressed me a lot. In my point of view, the young bloggers should learn from you and can do better in their skills.
Street Style

Unknown said...

You are one of the few writers which have the skills to bind the readers with his writing skills and I really feel glad that I have come across to your blog and able to gain some fruitful information for my personal growth.
Home Furnishing Exhibition

abo-bder said...





شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بجدة

Dylan Brandon said...

Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Itua herbal practitioner who helped cure me from HSV (2). I have suffered from this disease for the past 5 years and I have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Itua sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested free from HSV. All thanks to God for leading me to Dr Itua who was able to cure me completely from this deadly disease. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Itua because I got to know him through Elizabeth who he cured from HPV . I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silence and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Itua through his email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com) You can also order from his webstore https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/. He cure all forms of disease {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} BLOOD CANCER {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA.etc Be kind enough to share as you received