Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween's A-Gone

Wow, it all happened so fast. All week we prepare for the Halloween party, clean and cook and gather and decorate, and then over the course of a few hours it’s all over. But it was fun.

We had around 150-200 trick-or-treater’s show up for candy by my estimation, though I’m not certain. The algorithm I used to come up with that number, a Euclidian permutation of a non-Newtonian based astrophysics formula for space fungus, complete with over four-thousand variables, is a bit unpredictable and unreliable when it comes to things that really matter. So I had to mostly rely on simple reduction: I had 270 pieces of candy to start with and ended with about 10.

In addition to the ghoulish candy-beggers, we played host to around 20 or so folk. ‘Twas a fun and joyous time of fellowship, filled with food galore. Homemade stoneware pizza, a giant pot of chili, pigs-in-a-blanket, pumpkin shaped red Jello, two types of elaborate cookies, chips & meaty queso dip, pumpkin bread, punch with eyeballs floating in it, and a cheesecake with a spider web on top. Lots of food, even if the punch bowl decided to break and spill all over the place. And when there’s food, there’s always a good time.

But it was good seeing everybody and talking with folks, from old friends to new ones. And, in addition to the crowd of people, Stella even had a puppy friend come over and keep her company, too.

Sunday church brought some exciting news in regard to music ministry, and I’m anxious to see what will come of it. Because more often than not, I feel that worship becomes rote and bland, that our singing is done just out of routine, that our voices are raised because that’s what you do, not what you want to do. The words, while beautiful, lack meaning. Yes, I’m looking forward to seeing the change in the music ministry.

And finally I went to a funeral home to pay my respects to a dear old lady that I grew up in church with. Somewhere down the line she’s related to me (not surprising, since my family is gigantic), and it was good to travel back home and see people I don’t get to see often. Having a family as large and as loving and as kind as mine is something I thank God for.

Now I sit here, my mind foggy and my nose stopped up, fighting my personal battle against allergies. I’d wager sitting outside in the cold, October air for a few hours Saturday night has something to do with it. Pictures of various things, ranging from Stella’s Petsmart Show to Halloween night fun, are in the slideshow below. (Sadly, in the confusion and pandemonium of the party, Keisha and I forgot to snap pictures of ourselves. I was Dr. House, and she was a very cute pirate.) Until tomorrow, I bid you all a very fond and wonderfully strange day.

8 comments:

Krista said...

Man, that pizza looks soooo yummy! All the other food sounds great, too! Ah, the joy of eating :O

Your puppy is so cute and her costume was so pretty!!! I can't believe you didn't take pictures of yourselves, though! ;)

Sorry to hear about the old lady you grew up with :(

I hope the music turns out great!!

Oh, and we call my Grandma MaMaw too! Hehe :)

Also, to let you know, I just shipped Lamentation out this morning so you should get it sometime within the next couple weeks :) Let’s just hope I put all the right books in the right packages... I was rushed by my mother! ;) Ah, well, I'm sure you'll enjoy which ever book you get, lol! Only kidding I think I got 'em all right or, at least, I hope I did, lol! Maybe you should let me know, hehe ;)

Glad you had a wonderful Halloween, and so many Trick or Treaters! Trick or Treaters seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer over the years....

Next up Thanksgiving...YAY! More food :)

logankstewart said...

@Krista: The pizza was fantastic. Homemade is the only way to go now, plus it's much cheaper and really, really tasty. Yeah, we forgot all about taking pictures of ourselves until well after everything was picked up and cleaned and we were changed and sitting in the living room talking. Oh well.

David Wagner said...

Hey! How do you do that cool slideshow thing!? I wanna do that! Is it a widget of some sort?

Sounds like y'all had a great time as well. Good on ya, mate! Liked your jackolanters. Sorry about the punchbowl...

logankstewart said...

@David: The slideshow comes from Picasa, Google's approach to Flickr. I use Picasa to manage my photos (but you don't have to) and then I upload the albums I want to the web. From there you can get a variety of ways to share that album, and one of them is an embed code for a slideshow.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Windows Live Writer has a slideshow option, too, but I didn't attempt it.

Hope this helps.

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention that today is Stella's 1st birthday!!

logankstewart said...

@Keisha: You're absolutely right. How could I not mention Stella's birthday? Just don't tell her I forgot.

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

You sound like you had a busy Halloween- we did too, lots of little munchkins out doing hte trick-or-treat thing.

logankstewart said...

Marie: Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I enjoy following The Boston Bibliophile, as I'm a fan of graphic novels and comics and you seem to read them often. Best of luck to you, and I hope you come back.