Monday, November 09, 2009

3 Observations of a Dying Generation

1.  The generational gaps in our society are astounding if you think about it.  Look back forty to fifty years, where racism was commonplace.  Society was segregated by skin color, and those with the light skin color were superior to those with the darker.  White people could ride the bus and have a seat.  They could have a nice professional job.  They lorded over people like they were better, just because they had light colored skin.

Our generation?  Racism exists, but it’s much more convoluted and much less common.  Now, I think racism is only a very small problem in America and it’s fueled by every colored skin there is.  I can’t stand to hear people being racist, even if they’re joking, and it puts a stab in my gut when I hear it.  But I really hate reading the news and seeing things analyzed by race.  “Was this a racial crime?  Is this person the victim of prejudice?”  Those sorts of things kill me.  Really, what kills me even more, is why do we even have to consider the race card any longer?  Aren’t we all just people, trying to live our lives the best we can?  Who cares what color skin you have?

For the majority, I think the racism card is generationally dying off.  When President Obama was elected into office, sure, it was a big deal, being the first African-American president, but the significance of it was lost on me.  Racism is not a problem in my world.  Skin color means jack to me.  I didn’t grow up seeing race riots and KKK marches on TV; instead, I saw fictionalized women and African-American presidents on TV.  Thus, it wasn’t a stretch for me to accept a real dark skinned President for our troubled country.

2.  Fox News is another thing that hopefully will fade into oblivion with the passing generations.  Or, at least the way news is currently presented.  Sensationalism in general is nothing more than propaganda, skewed to influence your opinion in one light as to the other.  I don’t understand how people believe the things they see and hear from sensationalistic newscasts.  To me, it seems obvious when people are offering opinions instead of unbiased facts.

While I feel that yellow journalism is pretty much dead, I see things like Fox News in the same light.  It is my hope that the news will have a paradigm shift in presentation, reporting facts and little conjecture.  That’s why I like NPR.

3.  Another thing that is becoming obsolete is the personal telephone landline.  Our society is an on-the-go, wireless society.  My household does not have a landline and likely never will, as we use our cells for communication.  I can see no point in having a house phone.  Any faxing I should need to do can be done at work or the library, and internet service no longer requires it.  In fact, the only things I can see still having landlines are businesses.

There are many things going away, some good and some bittersweet and some downright tragic.  And even though my generation has its fair share of problems, I think we’ve got a lot to look forward to, as well.  Think back to the American Revolution and the fierce battles that were fought.  Picture it in your mind.  Now look at the picture below.

Is that how you pictured it?  An incomplete Death Star hanging in orbit?  An 18th century war fought with lightsabers?  If so, friend, then you truly know your history.

This post didn’t really convey the point I was trying to make.  What I was trying to get around to saying was that strawberry cream cheese on a nice bagel in the morning is something I’m thankful for, something I’m glad we have in our society and something I hope never goes away.  I believe in my generation, that we’ll stomp the racial card into near oblivion, that we’ll abolish Fox News, and that the death of landlines will make our cell phone bills cheaper.  We can do it, America.

6 comments:

Logan said...

I agree with you that the racism card is a forced play these days. In another generation or two, there will be so much racial mixing, a pure blooded/colored person of any race (hardly common now anyways) will be the exception. We should be well on our way to putting racial differences and stereoypes way behind us.

logankstewart said...

@Logan: A forced card, indeed. I can't wait until racial differences and stereotypes are things of the past.

Unknown said...

I even find the term "African-American" racist, at least in this usage. Obama was born in America, so he's an American-American. All of those terms were coined for immigrants and our society missuses it terribly.

More importantly (and sadly, seeing as how I've seen that picture before), I just realized that they're all using the opposite color sabers that they should be...

logankstewart said...

David: African-American really is a misnomer, eh? Unfortunately our society often tends to describe folk by their skin color.

Aye, the lightsaber colors are backwards, but possibly because a red blade on a Redcoat would be too strong and not enough contrast.

Krista said...

Yummy....strawberry cream cheese on a nice bagel sounds good! It must be breakfast time :)

The picture is funny, too :)

My brother is in a mixed relationship and her parents hate him... it's sad but the way life is, I guess. We love'em both, though :)

All the best!!

logankstewart said...

Krista: When I see mixed relationships it puts a smile on my face and I think happy thoughts. In my mind, that is one way to fight racism.