Monday, November 16, 2009

Regret

It's that sick feeling in your stomach the morning after,
knowing that you've violated your own principles mixed
together with filth.
It's the sobering feeling of regret.
But how can you say no?  Why does it rise from your own mind,
daring you to contradict yourself?
You smell the aroma, you see the smiles of the happy people,
the vibe of the good crowd and you know you're hooked.
You know you will fall to the temptation.
You know that no matter how resilient you are,
you're just another piece of chaff in the maelstrom of life,
unable to keep your word and integrity.

If that possibility of regret showed itself before,
if you could see the results of the actions prior
to taking part,
how much wiser we would be.  How much stronger.
Resistence seems unnatural, impossible.
Caving is inevitable.
But why make the choices you make?  Why choose stupidity?
Is it the false hope that one more time will be okay?
Why subject yourself to something you know you'll regret?

-------

Yes, I regret eating New China Buffet last night.  I admit it.  Once again I resolve myself to abstain from buffets, especially Chinese buffets, but I know my promises are empty and weak.  I'm only human.  Well, mostly...

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Ah, but if you never ate at the Chinese Buffet, you wouldn't have been inspired to create such an awesome poem.

Sometimes it's nice to take a break from Ramen Noodles...

logankstewart said...

Crystal: Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you liked it. Aye, sometimes the break from Ramen is very nice.

Unknown said...

I was thinking Logan that perhaps your pregnant?
*smirky grin*

logankstewart said...

Shellie: That is hilarious. I busted out laughing at your thoughts. Alas, I am not pregnant...

Unknown said...

I was hoping that you didn't get upset at my humor, which can be tasteless.
Good to get a laugh from you!
I am also glad you are not pregnant imagine that regret...:)

Krista said...

Wow, Logan, I really enjoyed this! This poem kind of hits home for me right now with the way my life is changing and so drastically... regret is a funny thing...

This was an awesome and intense poem for me, and then you went and made me laugh! I loved it. :)

logankstewart said...

Krista: I'm glad it affected you and then made you laugh. I definitely had more than meaning when I wrote it.