Friday, August 14, 2009

Week's End Miscellany #4 (Ash nazg durbatuluk)

We're at the end of another week here at Rememorandom. It's been really a pretty bland week for the blog, in part due to the fact I've been sick at my stomach off and on for a week, in part from the aftermath of many shots in the mouth, and in part that my creative, blogging juices were/are on hiatus. Now for the miscellany.

1. I will be traveling to Frankfort again next week, this time taking a class in understanding and using MicroStation. I know very little about this software, so hopefully I learn a lot, as it will be very useful to my job.

2. I watched I Love You Man the other night. It does not warrant a full review, but only a few sentences. It is basically a chick-flick, but for guys. It's laughable and funny at times, but at other times it's a little vulgar. The story was mediocre, but the theme of exploring friendship was nice. I can only half-heartedly recommend this, as it wasn't anything spectacular.

3. One for sorrow/two for joy/three for girls/four for boys/five for silver/six for gold/seven for a secret never to be told.

4. I know I've mentioned this on a few different occasions, but I really love crossword puzzles. There's something supremely satisfying in successfully solving one. Daily I work on the USA Today puzzle, and almost daily I work on the LA Times, and frequently I work on the Yahoo Daily. I really wish I had access to the NY Times, but they are not free, and I can't justify spending the cash on the NYT puzzles (yet).

5. I'm going to watch District 9 tomorrow. Can't wait. Looks awesome. And viral advertisements are usually fun.

6. I'm hoping that by next week I'll be finished with Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The book is enormous. I can't find an exact word count, but I estimate between 150,000 and 200,000 words, at ~800 pages. At times it is slow and uneventful, but there is always enough mystery and intrigue to pull me back. Plus, it's a nice break from what I've been reading of late. Expect a full review when I am finished.

7. The ipod quest is still going strong. I'm at almost 70% of the songs I've intended to listen to. Needless to say, this has been personally epic in my undertaking.

That's it for now, folken. Tomorrow will continue on with the Weekend Specials, if you so choose to opine on what you're currently reading/writing/watching/etc. Remember:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am looking forward to your thoughts on District 9 and your review on Jonathan Strange...Oh yes please translate :) for us non German??? speakers; and/or new readers.

logankstewart said...

@Shellie: Ha ha. It does resemble German, but it's actually the Black Speech, the spoken language of Mordor. It's translated to one of the most known inscriptions of all time...
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

And check back in a week or so for the Strange & Norrell review. District 9 should be next week.

Unknown said...

Ah The Lord of the Rings? I have yet to read the Trilogy.. but its in one of my challenges.

David Wagner said...

Arlogorn! The black language shall not be spoken here!

District 9 looks awesome. I may check it out m'self... uh oh, dueling reviews! Between the two of us, we should be able to hit all the relevant spoilers...