Friday, July 17, 2009

Week's End Miscellany #1

Another ending to an interesting week. It's Friday and I'm going to Holiday World tomorrow. It's supposed to be a beautiful, 79-degrees, so the amusement park will probably be super crowded. But that's okay. It'll be Saturday, and it'll be fun. Now, on to the miscellany.

1. This was a brilliant plan and a great story. Basically, through a combined effort of a school system in Sussex and the police, a "War of the Worlds" situation was created. Parents of the students weren't told of the plans, nor were the children, and many left from the experiment traumatized. I thought it was rather funny.

2. I'm working on median ditches now. Verifying that flow values and slopes are up to standards.

3. I'm nearing the end of The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. So far, I've really enjoyed the book. I'll be using my $50 Borders gift card to buy the next book, and save the rest for something else on my reading list.

4. I'm currently testing out Google Chrome as my web browser. I've been a Firefox user for about 5 years now, but I thought I'd test Chrome out. Especially since Google is going to be launching their Chrome OS this fall, which I think I'll also try.

5. I've written a new song that I'm rather proud of. Musical ideas are swarming around again, and I may be expressing those here in the not-so-distant future. I still need to edit and polish things up, though.

6. There are 236 albums being considered on my iPod quest. I'm currently on #76, Harvest Moon, by Neil Young.

7. NPR is currently offering a free sampler to download featuring selections from the Newport Folk Festival. It's a pretty good sampler, featuring classic folk sounds with some neo-folk influences as well. You can download it here.

8. Last Friday I posted a piece titled "Run-on Secret." Well, folks. The secret's out. I bought me a new car. A 2005 Toyota Corolla. I like it a lot. And I'm currently searching for a suitable name to my trusty steed. My favorite so far: Humphrey Lancelot. Though there's also Halbert Daiyespa.

Have a good weekend everybody. Maybe I won't get sunburned too bad, though, being red-headed and freckled, I'm sure I will.

2 comments:

Bill said...

You should name your car "Reluctant Tractor" :D

Krista said...

Wow... those poor kids! It really was rather funny,though! I wish my school would've had a show like that...LOL!

Congrats on the New Car, how exciting! Good luck picking the name I can't wait to hear what you pick!