Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I Don't Understand People, or Why Are We So Messed Up?

After watching Primetime tonight, I find myself in a bit of disturbia. The show was about the raping and murdering of a 19 year old college student. It was caught on camera. The killer plead not guilty, though he was videotaped and there was plenty of evidence pointing to his guilt. And now I'm sickened.

What is it that lurks inside people that makes them want to do such heinous things? Are some people just evil? Or are they desperate? Lonely? What causes people to do these things? It's disgusting. Saddening. How can someone become numb enough to murder an innocent person? Do they not feel the terribleness of their actions? Does the rapist have no remorse for destroying a life, for putting terror in someone's heart and mind? Do molesters think they're being cute for being as sick as they are?

Ah! Sometimes it's overwhelming to look at the world and see the sickness there is in it. I think most people are good hearted, but there are a good lot that are tainted and dark. And this scares me. It makes me not want to let my wife walk at dusk alone. It makes me stay awake during the night and wonder if someone's going to break in. The darkness of the world is just depressing.

I don't understand people at all. And just when I think I do, something comes up that completely changes things. I'm glad I'm an optimist and have faith in some place greater and in a God that loves and died for each and every one of us.

Cheers everyone. And do something nice for someone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Logan, I had to re-sign up for your blog to get it into my google reader... I was wondering why I hadn't read any of your postings...still figuring this blogger thing out.

Looking at why people do horrible things is so hard, especially if your bound by a strong moral compass, have been raised that way and still agree with those beliefs. I'm thinking some people never had one to begin with or perhaps have lost their way? Also addictions, mental illness? Toughie - we are so lucky we live in such a great country where things like this are so less common than in other parts of the world.

logankstewart said...

Absolutely, Shellie. We are so blessed and lucky to live in America. Even though we have our problems, they could always be much, much worse.

Krista said...

I, too, wonder what makes people want to hurt and kill other people. It's really sad it happens, I just pray and thank God every day that my family has been and is safe.