Monday, July 27, 2009

Real-World Engineering Application

I finally put to practice my engineering skills in a practical, hands-on way. I made a harmonica holder out of a wire clothes hanger. It was relatively simple, just bending and molding to fit how I wanted it. Unfortunately I didn't have a vice grip or anything like that, just two sets of pliers, so the straightness of the equipment is not top-notch. Also, I didn't get it exactly how I wanted it, so I intend on making another one in the future.

Here's the final product.

Pretty cool, eh? I've had it on and tested it with the guitar, piano, and mandolin, and I laughed and giggled at my new toy. I felt like Bob Dylan, or maybe Neil Young or Demitri Martin. I played with the thing for a while yesterday, finally putting to use my set of harmonicas. It's all just another step on becoming a full, one-man band.

As you can see, I finalized the project with a thick layer of duct tape to provide neck support and stability. This solidifies the project as an "engineering project" by using the fabled tape. Here's a sample clip of the finished product.



On a side note, I'm a little over halfway through New Moon, and I'm honestly okay with it so far. There's things I don't like about certain characters, but that will all spill out when the review comes.

Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

5 comments:

MT said...

haha, pretty slick. beats buying one!

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

Pretty cool, Logan! It seems to work pretty well, if you ask me!

Heh, I love Bob Dylan (you could consider him an awesome poet as well, I think! I like to read the lyrics on there own anyway.) one of my favorites by him that I just LOVE is Mr. Tambourine Man!
Hey, it also reminds me of one of my favorite poets Dylan Thomas...

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Written May 1951.

Published in 'In Country Sleep', 1952.

Addressed to the poet's father as he approached blindness and death. The relevant aspect of the relationship was Thomas's profound respect for his father's uncompromising independence of mind, now tamed by illness. In the face of strong emotion, the poet sets himself the task of mastering it in the difficult form of the villanelle.
--------------------

Sorry, I just had to share, because it's my favorite poem by him, and it just poped in my head when you mentioned Bob Dylan!

Anyway, really cool new head set!

David Wagner said...

Now, if you could design a similar thing to hold energy drinks, I'd buy one! Taking the time away from playing/typing/farting around on my computer so I can take a quick drink wastes too much time...

Death to captcha!

logankstewart said...

@Mattson: Thanks, and absolutely.

@Krista: Thanks for sharing. I haven't read that poem since high school, but re-reading it now, it seems much better.

@David: Hmmm. Perhaps the simple solution would be to purchase a very large, long straw. Maybe.